Scope of the Policy
What Personal Information do we collect?
When you join Shrewsbury Civic Society or a mailing list kept by Shrewsbury Civic Society, you will be asked to provide certain information. This might include:
- Postal Address
- Email Address
- Type of Membership (if applicable)
- Gift Aid entitlement
- Telephone number(s)
How do we collect this Personal Information?
All the information we collect is obtained directly from you. This is usually at the point of your initial registration as a member or when you sign up for a particular service, such as an e-magazine. The information will be collected via paper or online forms. The lawful basis we have for collecting and storing your information is due to a contractual relationship that you, as a member or client, have with Shrewsbury Civic Society Trust Limited. The purposes for which we might use this personal information are listed below.
How do we use your Personal Information?
We use your personal information:
- To inform you of our activities and services.
- To administer, plan and manage the society.
- To communicate with you about the society and its activities and events.
- To monitor, develop and improve the provision of Shrewsbury Civic Society’s activity.
We will normally communicate with you by email, other digital methods or post.
With whom do we share your Personal Information?
We may disclose information about you for the following purposes:
- Internally, to other trustees or non-trustee officers, in order to facilitate your participation in our activities and events.
- Externally to our sister organisation, Shrewsbury Historica, which arranges most of the society’s events.
- If we have a statutory duty to disclose it for legal or regulatory reasons, such as providing Gift Aid information to HMRC.
We do not share personal information with other third parties. If, for any reason, we feel that this becomes appropriate, we will not do so without informing you about who the information will be shared with and for what purpose. We will always seek your consent before we proceed.
For how long do we keep your Personal Information?
We need to keep your information so that we can provide our services to you. In most cases we will store your personal information until you inform us that you no longer wish to remain on our database listings. The exceptions to this are:
- Instances where there are legal or insurance circumstances that require information to be held whilst the issues are being investigated or resolved. Where this is the case you will be informed as to how long your information will be held for and when it is deleted.
- Where you have opted to gift-aid your membership subscription, HMRC requires us to retain your information for six years after the last payment is made.
How your information can be updated or corrected
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up-to-date, you will need to inform us of any changed details in writing by email or letter. The ways in which you can contact us are published on our website (www.shrewsburycivicsociety.co.uk) and in our quarterly magazine. You can also visit us in the Bear Steps Gallery.
Should you wish to view the information that we hold about you, you can examine your details by making a written request, by email or letter, to the Chair of the society. You will normally receive a response to your request within a calendar month. There may be certain circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request, such as for legal, investigative or security reasons.
How we store your Personal Information
We have in place a range of security safeguards to protect your personal information against theft or loss, as well as unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Your details are held on local and external devices, and only accessible to the data controllers of the society, which in this instance comprise the Chair and the IT manager. The information may also be accessible to society data processors for specific purposes as deemed appropriate by the controllers.
Availability and changes to this policy
This policy can be viewed on, and be downloaded from, the society’s website (www.shrewsburycivicsociety.co.uk). If a paper copy is required, this can be obtained by making a written request by email or letter addressed to the Chair of the society, who will arrange for a paper copy to be available for pick-up at the Bear Steps Gallery.
This policy may change from time to time. Any material changes will be publicised on our website, in our quarterly magazine and in our monthly newsletter.
If you have any queries about this policy, or need it in an alternative format, or have any complaints about our privacy practices, please contact us by email or letter.